Graduate School Outline
About 170 faculty members are working in various fields, ranging from fundamental to applied fields of research.
Division of Science:
1) We conduct studies of earthquakes and volcanic activity based from Nansei-Touko Observatory for Earthquakes and Volcanoes. We focus on the activity of Sakurajima, one of the world’s most active volcanoes, and other areas in southern Kyushu and the Nansei islands.
2) We examine the bio-diversity of islands ranging from the World Heritage Site Yakushima, to other islands of the Nansei chain extending to Southeast Asia.
3) We participate in the VERA Project, a distinguished global joint research program with the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) and other oversea research institutes.
Division of Engineering:
4) We have programs for various engineering fields including environment, energy and medical engineering.
5) We work hard to meet the requests of the local community for the prevention and mitigation of natural disasters, such as volcanic activity, flooding, typhoons, earthquakes and tsunamis.
6) We are also actively working on the studies of environmental and structural issues associated with the archipelagos in the southern Kyushu areas.