In this course, we aim to develop students who can conduct research that will receive international recognition in a large number of fields. To this end students must possess a wide range of basic knowledge on the symbiotic relationships between life and the environment as well as the structure and changes occurring in the earth and universe (the natural environment) where such life exists. Students will acquire cutting-edge knowledge in various interdisciplinary fields.
Upon the completion of doctorate program, we aim to develop researchers and engineers who, as teaching staff, civil servants, or highly specialized professionals in industry, can conduct interdisciplinary education and research and can contribute widely to the academic society and industrial world. For this purpose, our department is divided into three sections: Space Environment, Earth Environment, and Life Science.
Educational Goals (Philosophy) and Prospective Students
- Those who have a great interest in a wide range of academic areas offered by the natural science course and those who are motivated to work on making new discoveries.
- Those who have the ability to create new technology, and are willing to spare no effort to solving problems.
- Those who are globally minded and are willing to develop internationally recognized research.
Education and research related to natural science, physics, space, and earth environmental science are conducted from the basic and universal perspectives of science and engineering. We aim to develop students who will become researchers, engineers, or educators equipped with a high capability to challenge future issues in society by their problem-solving abilities fostered through post-graduate research.
- Post-graduate education focused on doctorate students who can use physics to research and investigate natural truths as represented by the universe, seek the ways to find those truths, and are highly motivated to work on solving various problems involving local and international communities.
- Post-graduate education focused on doctorate students who can contribute to the development of human beings through comprehensive understanding of the history and environmental change of the earth, the evolution of living organisms, and the interaction between the natural environment and human activity so that environmental conservation and regional disaster prevention can be implemented systematically and comprehensively.
- Post-graduate education focused on doctorate students who can conduct research and education on various functions of living bodies along with life and environment systematically and comprehensively, students who are highly motivated to solve various problems regarding the understanding of the theoretical approach to basic structure of materials that living bodies are comprised of, and students who are willing to solve problems concerning understanding and theoretical approaches to the above.
Field of nucleus
Education and research using physics as a basis to uncover the truths of nature as represented by universe, to seek methods to discover that truth, and focus on the research of truth of natural world by using knowledge of physics.
◎Earth and Environmental Sciences
Comprehensive education and research on the history and environmental change of the earth, evolution of living organisms, and interaction between the natural environment and human activity. Development of education and research to clarify the various factors necessary to implement environmental conservation and regional disaster prevention systematically and comprehensively.
◎Biology and Bio-Science
Systematic and comprehensive education and research on the various functions of living bodies as well as life and environment. Development of research and education to cope with diverse phenomena in solving various problems related to the theoretical approach of understanding of the basic structure of materials of living bodies.
The educational program centers on seminars in each division. Students are required to take classes in each core field along with subjects common to all divisions such as the“Cutting-Edge Science Special Lecture,”etc.