Material Science and Production Engineering
Expectations for results from science and technology have been rising and diversifying in the 21st century. New and increasingly merging frontiers such as new energy sources, information, the environment and nano-technology are areas where Japan must take a leading role relative to the competition. Material Science, conventional energy sources and production technology are also critical for Japan to maintain a competitive edge in the global market. In response to these needs, the Department of Material Science and Production Engineering develops new materials and their production technique to enable Japan to maintain its lead in the coming age of technology and science. The department produces new materials and puts their production processes in place; also, the department has a broad background knowledge that forms the basis of efficient energy use and harmonious coexistence with the environment and conducts basic, well-rounded research and education to produce talented individuals who respond to the changing, diversifying needs of industry and the environment.
- ●Material Science
- Education and research in the physical and chemical phenomena of materials studied on an electric, particle, and atomic level. Based on fundamental knowledge, education and research is conducted to deepen understanding of the various factors needed to perform cutting-edge, comprehensive research and development regarding a variety of functional materials.
- ●Structual Design
- Education and research in design to make structures more diversified, larger in size, and lighter in weight. The structural design engineering section aims to conduct education and research to improve safety of structures and make them more economical and technically advanced so as to solve various problems related to field.
- ●Industrial Process Engineering
- Education and research in the manufacturing of various materials for use in basic processes in production of industrial products and in the basic industrial problems concerning various theories of the construction of production processes in the manufacturing of different materials, machining methods, and bio-functions.
System Information Science
The rapid pace of technological innovation and academic research, the socio-economic complexity of the modern world and the fierce competition in the global market demand original and advanced research at the forefront of science and technology. It is our mission to produce highly-qualified researchers and engineers with problem-solving skills who know the basics in different but related research fields in order to cope with discrete innovations, have state-of-the-art knowledge in their specialties, and are able to tackle research topics in borderline regions. The department meets such social demands and trains talented individuals who give full play to their expert knowledge in systems information science and researchers who advance the frontiers of science.
- ●Intellectual Information Engineering
- Research and education to analyze various problems related to mathematical analysis and use of theory to approach highly composite complex systems as well as, systems of life phenomena, and living bodies in an electronic and sub-atomic environment.
- ●Systematic Control Engineering
- Research and education related to human thinking, problem solving, and intelligence such as languages to cope with communication, information management, and information processing. In other words, research and education related to the basic functions that support an advanced information-oriented society.
- ●Environmental System Engineering
- Research and education characterized by the basic function of information activity, information processing, information transmission, and information management.
The human propensity for continuous pursuit of a better, more affluent society has reached a turning point in the 21st century as environmental degradation is increasingly felt around the world. Expectations are mounting toward further development of geo-environmental research. To meet such a social demand, the department conducts education and research guidance in a comprehensive manner based on integrated scientific explorations into functions of living organisms, symbiotic relations between life forms and the environment, structure and evolution of the planet of life where we live and the universe (or nature) as a whole so that we may build a sustainable education system to tackle unresolved issues in the natural sciences.
- ●Space Environment
- Education and research using physics as a basis to uncover the truths of nature as represented by universe, to seek methods to discover that truth, and focus on the research of truth of natural world by using knowledge of physics.
- ●Global Environment
- Comprehensive education and research on the formation and transformation of the earth, evolution of living organisms, and interaction between the natural environment and human activity. Development of education and research to clarify the various factors necessary to implement environmental conservation and regional disaster prevention systematically and comprehensively.
- ●Natural Science
- Systematic and comprehensive education and research on the various functions of living bodies as well as life and environment. Development of research and education to cope with diverse phenomena in solving various problems related to the theoretical approach of understanding of the basic structure of materials of living bodies.