Science and Engineering
- ●Production Engineering
- Production Engineering education and research fields: Mechanism of Fatigue, Strength Assessment, Damage Assessment and Remaining-Life Prediction of High-Temperature Materials, 3D4D Material Histology, Development of Metals, Ceramics and Composite Materials, Tribology in the Metal Forming Process, Phase Equilibria, Phase Diagrams, and Phase Transformation.
- ●Energy Engineering
- Energy Engineering education and research fields: Development of Environmental Conservation Apparatus using Fluid Engineering and Fluid Force, Flow Phenomena of Gas-Liquid Two-Phase Flow in Micro-Channels and Mini-Channels, Diesel Engine Combustion of Various Biofuels, Numerical Analysis with Flow Dynamics, and Heat Transfer by Experiment.
- ●Mechanical System Engineering
- Mechanical Systems Engineering education and research fields: Vibration Characteristics of Delaminated Materials, Manufacturing and Evaluation of Functionally Graded Materials, Intelligent Robot Manipulation, Smart Rehabilitation Systems, Intelligent Manufacturing Systems, Instrument and Control Engineering, and Control of Mechanical Systems.
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- ●Electronic Device Engineering
- An advanced information-oriented society is grounded in a large variety of electronic devices. While conducting research into the operating principles of electronic devices, this course also researches the design of essential materials needed for high-performance electronic devices, manufacturing processes, etc. Research and education focuses mainly on the manufacturing process of devices using high-temperature superconducting oxide thin films, transparent conductive films for displays, photo-rechargeable batteries, physical properties evaluation using photo-electron spectroscopy, the plasma process, laser evaporation, and vapor-phase growth.
- ●Electrical Power Engineering
- We offer research and education regarding the theory of system structures in systematic control theory, the design of a robust optimal control system, noise dampening in DC-DC converters as an electric energy conversion system, as well as research on making the systems perform higher, with higher reliability, more intelligent, and smaller in size from both an analytical and experimental aspects. In addition, research is being conducted to improve performance using the applications of superconductor technology in response to the demand for a high-quality, highly-reliable electrical systems. Education and research regarding degradation diagnosis technology of power supply systems in order to upgrade reliability is also being developed.
- ●Communication System Engineering
- Research and education is conducted on electric circuits, computers, communication instruments, LSI, audio information processing, GPS systems, and power systems to support a networked and information-oriented society. Particular emphasis is placed on optical fiber communication technology, ultra-high frequency circuit technology, system LSI technology, the development of a multi-agent system through soft information processing, construction of a next generation multi-media platform, analysis of electric power system design, and power system development.
Architecture and Architectural Engineering
- ●Architectural Design
- Through Architectural Design, students will research and study the design of hospitals and other complex institutions, housing complex design and regional planning, urban planning and landscaping, along with space and architectural design.
- ●Residential Enviroment System
- Through Environmental Design, students will study and research heating and lightning of living environments, along with indoor environmental control such as air quality, and utilities and equipment used within a building.
Chemistry, Biotechnology, and Chemical Engineering
- ●Applied Chemistry
- Our research and education program aims to foster creativity and ability that excels in developing useful materials, material surface observation techniques, micro-reactors, and environmental conservation technologies, etc. and convey it to the world.
- Our research and education program aims to foster in students the ability to develop medication and diagnosis systems for diseases, to invent bio-based materials necessary to build a sustainable society, and the ability use the knowledge and techniques acquired here as a basis to convey ideas and results to the world.
- ●Chemical Engineering
- Our research and education program aims to foster future researchers and engineers who will be active in the fields of “development of eco-friendly chemical processes”, “building energy and resource utilization systems,” and “invention of highly functional materials.”
Ocean Civil Engineering
- ●Oceanic and Coastal Environment Engineering
- Education and research focuses on the utilization and development, along with elucidation of physical phenomena in coastal and off-shore regions, environmental conservation, and disaster prevention.
- ●Oceanic and Coastal Construction Engineering
- Education and research focuses on the planning, construction, and maintenance of public works and off-shore structures from near-shore areas to off-coast regions.
Information Science and Biomedical Engneering
- ●Intelligent System
- Education is focused on cognitive science and somatoetric studies. Through specialized research and seminars we develop advanced professional engineers and researchers in the field of cognitive biomedical systems engineering.
- ●Information System
- Education is focused on computer-based data processing and networking. Through specialized research and seminars we develop advanced professional engineers and researchers in the field of information systems engineering.
Mathematics and Computer Science
- ●Structure of Mathematics
- Mathematics provides a theoretical basis vital to the advancement of technology brought by the development of natural science. This course focuses on research and education regarding the system of mathematical theories and development of research and education related to the essence of mathematical structure in the subjects of algebra, geometry, and analytical geometry.
- ●Mathematical Phenomena
- Research and education related to the theoretical aspects of mathematics and its applications along with analysis of the various phenomena found in nature and society.
- ●Computer Science
- The remarkable advancement of computer technology in recent years has also resulted in the rapid development of the computer science field. This course conducts research and education in mathematical theory and its applications to computer science.
Physics and Astronomy
- Education and research focuses on deepening our understanding of electro-magnetic properties of solid, thin film and solid surfaces by first-principle calculation, the search for new functional materials, studies on Basic Chaos Theory, understanding of various non-linear phenomena, investigation of characteristics of alternating field of dielectrics, electric, magnetic, and thermodynamic research on different types of strongly correlated multilayer materials including magnetic substances of high temperature oxide superconductors, rare earth elements, and transition metal elements.
- In order to deepen humanity’s understanding of the universe, education and research programs are being developed in the following fields: Formation and evolution of stars, structure of the Milky Way and other galaxies, and the relationship between particle physics and space. Theoretical research using radio, optical, and infrared telescopes in addition to satellites on astronomical observation and space environment measurement is also being conducted.
Chemistry and BioScience
- ●Molecular Photonics and Colloid Science
- Education and research related to photochemistry of molecular aggregates and condensed systems, chemistry of functional molecular aggregates, environmental catalyst chemistry, clean energy, and medical care.
- ●Organic and Biological Chemistry
- Education and research related to the chemistry of biological organic compounds, synthesis and organic reactions of organic compounds, and protein chemistry and antibody/peptide molecule design.
- Education and research related to symbiosis of plants and microorganisms, gene expression analysis of viruses of plants and microorganisms, body axis formation of vertebrates, reproduction and generation of marine invertebrates, neuro-physiology of taste and neural mechanisms of taste behavior of fish.
Earth and Environmental Sciences
- ●Geological Science
- Education and research in geology and geophysics.Education and research is conducted in the following fields: Study of the history of the development of geological structures using the geomorphological and geological approaches, study to further understanding of change maintenance mechanisms of earth’s global environment and biosphere using environmental mineralogy and microbiology, studies directly related to industrial activities such as utilization of clay minerals and functional development, studies related to disaster prevention such as landslide, earthquake, and volcanic eruption disasters, studies on seismic activity to acquire a deeper understanding of plate tectonics between the Kyushu mainland and the Nansei Islands, studies on crustal activity and volcanic eruptions caused by plate motion, investigations on eruption phenomena and history, prediction of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions in collaboration with Nansei-Toko Observatory for Earthquakes and Volcanoes.
- ●Environmental Analysis
- Education and research in chemistry.Education and research is conducted in the following fields: Furthering the understanding of the existing forms of mercury and arsenic in the environment using a micro-analytical method in the field of inorganic analytical chemistry, investigation of the status of nutrient salt and sea organism distribution in the field of marine biology, search for the matter cycle, and survey and research on the behavior of chemical elements in rocks and minerals from in the field of geology.
- ●Biodiversity Science
- Education and research in core biology.Education and research is conducted in the following fields: Study of forest flora and population dynamics of ants and other insects from southwest Japan to the tropical forests of Southeast Asia, life history, taxonomy, studies in genetic diversity on the molecular and cellular levels, classification and ecology of benthic organisms in shallow and freshwater environments, classification and ecology of mollusks in water and on land.